Pageviews last month

Sunday, October 9, 2011

“If I shall go, and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to Myself: that where I am, you also may be.”       John 14:3
 
Our coming home to Heaven is a pleasure looked forward to by Our Lord, and we ought often to think of it thus.  Death is but a passing from exile to our home, where our Friend has long awaited our arrival.  Yet how many of us ever think of this joy of Christ, think of it to spur ourselves on when the path of virtue grows rough and stony, and the way of God seems too hard for tired souls?  How often as the shadows of this darkened vale fall thick and fast upon us, do we lift our eyes and see the strong figure of our gentle Friend standing in the dawnlight on the farther shore, holding out His hands in loving expectation of His friends?
Yes, He is waiting, waiting with the patience of eternal years, and shall we cheat Him of His hopes?  No, we shall not think of separation from Him forever – for our humble, fervent prayer must make that never be.  But suppose we come back home less perfect than we should! 
Suppose when the evening of life is over, and the shadows have fallen away, we stand in the full light of Heaven and our soul is found less beautiful than Our Lord intended it to be!  Chiding there cannot be for a soul that has come safely home, be its homecoming only in the tattered garments of a laggard’s robe of virtue.  Yet if chiding there could be, would not the saddened eyes of Christ speak reproof to our inmost soul?  He had told us in the pages of His Holy Word “Put ye on the Lord Christ,”  “Impersonate the Lord Christ”; yet as we stand before Him is there much of a resemblance?
We ask in all reverence, would anyone mistake us for Christ?  Living images we were to be for all eternity of the most perfect of men, the God-Man; but how is the image blurred, how is the likeness marred!
Shall we spare Christ Jesus this disappointment?  Oh! Yes, we will.  We cannot bear to think of disappointing an earthly friend whose sorrow would be bounded within a span of years.  How could we think of failing Him to whom our failure will be eternal!  Failure to grow more and more like Christ there must not be.  Each day must see us grow in prayer, in lowliness of heart, in love of others.  Each day must find us with greater love of God within our hearts, and greater devotedness to our fellow men in all our acts.  Then when the summons comes to hurry home, Christ our Friend will be pleased with our exile’s labor.
O Jesus, from all eternity You have loved me with a love such as only God can have!  From all eternity You have planned to have me bring my soul to You beautiful with all the luster of Your many graces.  How can I disappoint You, my God?  How can I bear to think that I should be less like You when You call me home?  NO! it must not be dear Lord; it must not be.  Give me but Your grace; give me but the strength to profit by Your grace!  Then when I hasten home, my Jesus You will find me the saint You yearned that I should be!
“My Changeless Friend”

No comments:

Post a Comment